Dell Social Innovation Challenge
The Dell Social Innovation Competition is a one of a kind project and website. The Challenge identifies and supports promising young social innovators who dedicate themselves to solving the world's most pressing problems with their transformative ideas. With a cutting edge competition platform and community site, we provide university students with world-class teaching and training, as well as with start-up capital and access to a network of mentors and advisors.
The site has a compelling look and feel and beautiful design, an inspiring and innovative set of goals, and very intuitive UI.
One of the best things about the project is that browsing the projects and ideas that the competition is generating makes you feel downright good!
The Dell Social Innovation Challenge project is a competition and a community. The competition has two parts: People's Choice and Global Awards. The People's Choice awards are a crowd-sourced contest where the project with the most votes in 6 defined global regions as well as the project with the most votes in 11 global issue areas will each win cash prizes. We are using voting_api, plus1, userpoints, and flag integrated with custom modules to handle the people's choice awards requirement.
The Global Awards are much more competitive and require quite a bit of behind the scenes development to make it happen. Each project in the Global Awards is reviewed and scored by 3 judges in round 1 in order to advance to the semi-finals. We created a scorecard content type that uses rules, userpoints, and CCK to allow judges to access scorecards from a project page to evaluate their assigned projects. Only they can view their scorecard, which we accomplished using panels. In addition, we had to write a custom script to assign judges to projects within specific parameters. And finally, we had to create an advanced view using the data module to allow site admins to review judging results per project. From this view they can advance a project to the semi-finals without leaving the page. Custom Contest Judging built on Organic Groups, votingapi, userpoints, and custom points module.
The Dell Social Innovation Challenge project has several unique roles on the site, all with different profile needs. University Students are the primary role, but we also have University Faculty, Mentors, General Public, High School Students, Judges, and Administrators. Rather than create multiple content types for each role to use as its content profile, we are using conditional_fields, field_permissions, and content_profile with custom modules to manage all of the unique roles through registration as well as their profile/user management. There are a lot of advantages to this approach. For instance, it will allow users to to change roles in the future or maintain multiple roles, while keeping the edit profile management as well as the code management simplified. In addition, it allows us to more easily enact changes to user profiles globally, which is important for a site that already has over 40,000 registered users even though it launched less than 2 months ago.
- We are using apache solr and views to deliver results unique to each content type, custom cck field indexing, and custom facets for filtering and sorting.
- We are using context with panels, panels everywhere and our custom panels layouts to deliver unique look and feel per section.
- We are using userpoints with Rules integration to create a 'user influence' value that is displayed throughout the site, which encourages greater participation.
- We are using the quiz module to educate up and coming entrepreneurs on what's important with regard to launching a startup. By taking these quizzes (we call them 'challenges'), users accrue points and increase their influence.
- We imported over 10,000 universities worldwide from LinkedIn with Locations integration. These universities are Organic Groups, so students, faculty, and alumni can join their university from their profile. We only allow one active university per profile for students and faculty, but you can join multiple universities as alumni.
Notable Modules being used in conjunction with our custom modules:
- Panels Everywhere
- Custom panel layouts
- Blueprint CSS Grid
- Organic Groups / OG User Roles
- Content Profile
- Conditional Fields
- CCK 6.x-3.x